If I could name A fruit for you It would be jabuticaba Blue, black and small On the outside And soft and sweet within My favourite memory Was under that tree That's been there since I was three Now I would like to Sing for you My jabuticaba song Isn't she lovely Like purple rain Walking on sunshine with you (over the rainbow) Quiet nights, quiet stars It's summertime Quiet nights, quiet stars and you If I could name A tree for you It would be Jabuticaba Under the shade Of the cool green leaves It all comes back to me So when that taste Reminds you You know just where To find me And now I would like to sing for you My jabuticaba song Jabuticaba tree Jabuticaba song - by Bebel Gilberto, Carlinhos Brown
Google
 

Welcome


Powered by IP2Location.com
Remember . . . When you visit this BLOGs and you see a photo you like, just click on the photo to enlarge it.

What a Great Harvest

On September 18 we were ready for a big harvest of Jabuticaba so we could make up to 6 jars of Geléia de Jabuticaba (Jabuticaba Jam).



Here are pics of what the berries looked like on the tree.





There are berries all over the tree. Here is Judy picking one.





They stretched way up the trunk.





They were plentiful all the way to the top of the tree.




So I started to pick some. Here is my first bowl.



Judy invited neighbours over to pick berries too.





Even Jabuti (the tortoise) got into the act. They love the berries.





The tree in the front yard has smaller berries.





There are many berries but they are not as good as the ones in the backyard.





But they sure are plentiful.




Look what the neighbours did to the tree in the backyard! They stripped it!





They picked ALL THE BERRIES way up beyond my reach. There are only berries for the birds remaining.





Photos by Urso Branco

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This is the first time I know about berries. It's interesting!
You know, there's some guys from Vietnam go to Finland for a short-term contact. They will come and pick this special thing in the wood...

Thanks for your information. Hope see you at mine too.

Could you add me at your friend list !

Dinh Trung

Urso Branco said...

Ding Trung: Thanks for the comment. What is your blog URL?

Urso Branco

De said...

Hi

I'm a Brazilian from Sao Paulo and living in Toronto. I just came across you blog and my mouth watered with the pictures of the big jabuticabas in the tree.
It recalled my childhood in Sao Jose do Rio Preto when I used to go to my uncles house to pick some.. Good times!!!

;)

VPK Enterprises said...

Hi, I am brazilian living in NY.
I loved your blog very nice! It brought me back some old memories.
People in the US don't seens to understand the goodness of this little fruit as i mention it in conversation.
Do you happen to know when is harvast time of jabuticaba in Brazil, exactly in the Espirito Santo state?
Thank you!

Urso Branco said...

Andrew and Datima:

We have had bountiful Jabuticaba harvests in September and February.

I am glad you enjoyed the photos of the Fabulous Jabuticaba.

Urso Branco

Urso Branco said...

ooops. Sorry.

Andrew and Fatima

Urso Branco

Anonymous said...

Hello

We live on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland, Australia.
Yesterday we were introduced to a Jabuticaba Tree growing here.
It was short,stocky with many trunks.
There were small flowers with red and black fruit. Very pleasant to taste straight from the tree.
Sandra

L said...

I am an American, but used to live in Brasil. I loved the jabuticaba fruit. I have never seen it in the states. Just another one of my saudades.

VPK Enterprises said...

Yes Laura, I totally understand when you say Saudade. It has been some 30 years that I do not eat jacuticaba....so have forgot how woderfull they are....but I am planing to go this Brasil this Octuber and hoping to find some jabuticabas. Have you any plans to visit Brasil?

Urso Branco said...

Andrew and Fatima . . the Jabuticaba are staring to grow and change colour now. They will be ready to eat in the next couple of weeks (mid septembro). There might be a few left when you get here. At least you can get Geleia de Jabuticaba and take it back to the US with you. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Urso Branco

VPK Enterprises said...

Hi Urso Branco!!!
I have been planning my whole vacation around the jabuticaba harvest....someone told me with certainty that there would be jabuticaba in mid Octuber....oh life...I will be visiting Espirito Santo...is the harvest also in mid September there?
Thank you for the information...
I guess i will have to be happy with the jelly and licor....hummm

Support a living planet - Join WWF